Dan Pontefract, who, though he lives in Vancouver, was able to tear himself away from the games long enough to write "The Ability to Lead Remote Employees Will Become the Next 2.0 Skill," provides a list of questions for you, leaders, teamers, and followers, to ask yourselves. In an increasingly crowded field of me-too posters, Dan's got some original ideas:
- Do you set up time in your calendar to randomly phone, email or instant message team members?
- Do you create idea factory web-jams over asynchronous means to instill a sense of virtual brainstorming?
- Do you post quips and updates on your whereabouts, initiatives, questions or thoughts?
- Do you track project updates and discuss options in an open manner with all team members?
- Do you post illustrative thoughts, issues or ideas about the team, the business, etc. for discussion?
- Do you post short, informal videos about anything business related that the team could benefit from?
- Do you engage with your team face-to-face, even if not physically face-to-face?